- If you haven’t already, install smart home carbon monoxide and smoke detectors. These detectors can alert you to these dangers whether you are at home or away by signaling an alarm and sending an alert to your smart phone. This is especially crucial if you have elderly loved ones or children who may be at home during the day and not aware of the danger. It can also help you better manage the safety of your pets.
There a wide variety of features now available in carbon monoxide and smoke detectors, so review integrated solutions and technologies to determine which is the best option for your home and your family. For example, carbon monoxide and smoke detectors integrated into a professionally-monitored smart home security system can alert you to a potential danger via your smart phone. If you are at home and know you are being alerted because you left bacon in the frying pan a little too long, you can use the app on your device to silence the alarm and focus on cleaning up. If you receive a notification while you are away that your carbon monoxide or smoke detector has been triggered, you can use a video monitoring function to assess the situation from any location and your monitoring service can alert first responders, providing video verification of the dangerous conditions.
By connecting carbon monoxide and smoke detectors to other smart home features such as smart locks, you can remotely unlock the doors to your home to let first responders inside. Should family or pets be trapped, video monitoring can help first responders more quickly locate and rescue your loved ones.
Additional tips to protect you, your family and your pets from the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and house fires include:
- Never use a generator, grill, camp stove or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal-burning device inside your home, garage, basement, crawlspace or any partially enclosed area. In addition to starting fires, these devices can generate dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
- If you are running a portable generator, locate it at least 20 feet away for doors, windows and vents. Never run a generator inside your home.
- Don’t use your gas stove or your oven for heating.
- Seal or patch vent pipes with approved products. Unapproved products such as masking or packing tape could provide an opening for carbon monoxide to leak into your home.
- Don’t leave your car running in a closed garage.
- Don’t turn on your car if your tail pipe is blocked by snow, ice or any other debris. Clear away any blockages before starting your car.
- Make sure that all vents to your home are clear and not blocked by snow, ice or other materials.
For more winter safety tips, visit Alarm.Org.